Hunter with distressed sheath

Hunter with distressed sheath

Sunday, March 6, 2011

One for a Soldier - O1 Tool Steel Etched Finish

I just finished this one for a charity build that was started on one of the knife forums I belong to.  A total of 40 knives were made by various makers, all from donated materials.  This one is 5/32" O1 tool steel that has been etched dark to reduce glare.  It is 9 1/2 " long and 1 1/4" wide at its widest point.  Handle scales are G10 camo with aluminum corby bolts and it has a 1/4" lanyard tube.  Top half of the blade is clipped and it has thumb jimping.  It is paired with a Spec Ops Combat Master sheath that was also donated by Spec Ops.  This knife will go to Afganistan to either Marine EOD operator or a US NATO team member.  In the group shot my knife is in the top row, second in from the right.

9/3/11 Here is an update on the knives.  They finally made it out to the soldiers in Afganistan and were sent to a soldier named Mark.  He is in touch with one of our knife makers and here is an update he sent regarding the knives and his groups activities:

"Hey there sorry for the delay but yes I got the packages and the guys love them. We have been busy roling missions all the time. I am back at Salerno getting checked out after our last ambush. I was knocked out for a second I am a gunner. They hit us with RPGs, mortars and small arms. We are all ok just a couple of us with concusions. I will get you a pic with the guys and the knives.
Thanks again,
Mark"

2 comments:

  1. Best 50% of the cutting edge is cut and it has thumb jimping. It is matched with a Spec Ops Combat Master tool steel sheath that was additionally given by Spec Ops. This blade will head off to Afganistan to either Marine Eod admin or a Us Nato colleague. In the assembly shot my blade is in the top push, second in from the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.Thanks. fastening

    ReplyDelete